Camping out under the stars in your tent, or in the comfy bed of your RV are some of the best ways to camp. For many of us, RV or tent camping is likely a tradition that’s been a part of our lives for years. Though we obviously are big fans of the standard ways of camping — tent, RV, etc. — we also are big fans of shaking things up a bit. And, we are always down for new experiences. This summer, join the us in trying new things and swap out your tent or RV for one of KOA’s unique accommodations. You just may find yourself creating a new tradition!
The beauty of that shiny silver glimmering in the sunlight is impossible to miss. Seeing an Airstream pass by on the road may instantly bring a feeling of jealousy, and curiosity as to what staying in one of those gorgeous trailers is like. Well, thanks to KOA, you can experience what a night or two in an Airstream is like at one of our participating campgrounds! If you’re staying at one of the following KOA campgrounds, you can experience the nostalgic wonder of an Airstream:
- Bar Harbor KOA / Oceanside (ME)
- Carbondale / Crystal River KOA Holiday (CO)
- Eureka Springs KOA (AR)
- Santa Cruz / Monterey Bay KOA Holiday (CA)
- Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA Holiday (FL)
Yes, you read that correctly: a caboose — the car that’s attached to the end of a train. And yes, you can really sleep in one, and one that’s more luxurious than what our favorite Boxcar Children slept in.
KOA has worked to successfully restore cabooses from some of the country’s historic railway lines (including Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe, and Boston & Main) and make them an option for campers to enjoy at several KOA locations.
Kids will absolutely love the opportunity to sleep in a train, and parents will rest easy knowing this caboose is a fun and safe one.
Here are the KOA locations that offer the thrilling stay in a caboose:
- Mount Pleasant / Charleston KOA Holiday (SC)
- Oregon Dunes KOA Holiday (OR)
- Point South KOA Journey (SC)
- St Louis West / Historic Route 66 KOA (MO)
- Twin Mountain / Mt. Washington KOA Holiday (NH)
Tepees, Yurts, and Wall Tents
When you think of camping in a tepee, a yurt, or a wall tent, you likely associate those accommodations with the idea of rustic camping. However, when you stay in a tepee, yurt, or wall tent at one of the participating KOA locations, rustic camping is not what you’ll get. Our tepees, yurts, and wall tents are really more like “glamping” locations rather than rustic camping, and come outfitted with electricity, super comfortable futons, and a fire pit! Now that sounds like our idea of camping!
We offer these fun and luxurious accommodations at a number of our KOA sites. So if you’re in the area, be sure to try out a tepee, yurt, or wall tent at the following:
- Badlands / White River KOA (SD)
- Carbondale / Crystal River KOA Holiday (CO)
- Charlottesville KOA (VA)
- Cortez / Mesa Verde KOA (CO)
- Craters of the Moon / Arco KOA (ID)
- Delaware Water Gap / Pocono Mountain KOA Holiday (PA)
- Enfield / Rocky Mount KOA Journey (NC)
- Erie KOA Holiday (PA)
- Flagstaff KOA (AZ)
- Flaming Gorge / Manila KOA Journey (UT)
- Grants Pass KOA (OR)
- Hayward KOA Holiday (WI)
- Jacksonville North / St. Marys KOA Holiday (GA)
- Lena KOA (IL)
- Manchester KOA Holiday (TN)
- Ouray KOA (CO)
- Silt / Colorado River KOA (CO)
- Terre Haute KOA Journey (IN)
- Thompson / Grand River Valley KOA Holiday (OH)
- Uniontown KOA Holiday (PA)
- Williams / Exit 167 / Circle Pines KOA Holiday (AZ)
- Willits KOA Holiday (CA)
- Winnemucca / I-80 KOA Journey (NV)
- Bay Center / Willapa Bay KOA Journey (WA)
- Bear Lake / Trail Side KOA (UT)
- Deerpark / New York City NW KOA (NY)
- Higgins Lake / Roscommon KOA (MI)
- Luray KOA Holiday (VA)
- Santa Margarita KOA (CA)
- Shelby / Mansfield KOA Resort (OH)
- Williamsburg / Busch Gardens Area KOA (VA)
- Barstow / Calico KOA (CA)
- Bear Lake / Marina Side KOA Holiday (UT)
- Lake Isabella / Kern River KOA (CA)
- Lake Placid / Whitefact Mtn KOA Holiday (NY)
- Ludington East / Pere Marquette River KOA (MI)
- Panquitch KOA (UT)
- Royal Gorge / Canon City KOA (CO)
- San Diego Metro KOA (CA)
- Sturgeon Falls KOA Holiday (ON, Canada)
- Ventura Ranch KOA Holiday (CA)
Good ‘ol camping is always a win in our hearts. Sometimes you just can’t beat sleeping in an old-fashioned tent and listening to the crickets. However, it can be fun sometimes to change things up a bit and experience camping in a new way. With the help of KOA and our unique camping accommodations, you can experience both your traditional, favorite way to camp, as well as some new adventures. Plus, the growing popularity of KOA’s unique camping accommodations has us working on expanding our unique accommodations offerings. You’ll want to keep your eyes peeled for more unique camping experiences to come at your favorite KOA. With cabooses, Airstreams, and tepees already filling up, you never know what we’ve got up our sleeves! Stay tuned for more unique accommodations that could be coming to a campground near you!
Originally published June 23rd, 2017 on KOA.
AUTHOR: Born and raised in the Big Sky Country of Montana, Leslie K. Hughes is a writer, editor, and communication specialist who calls Arizona Home. Leslie has over 10 years of experience in working with words and helping people use the magical English language to grow their businesses. When not traveling and choosing “cake over steak,” Leslie serves her fabulous clients as Copy Girl.